February 18, 2009

Two Tongues - Self-Titled LP


Chris Conley and Max Bemis… TOGETHER? This is a pop rock wet dream to me. Saves the Day and Say Anything have both held their place in my heart as a favorite band at some point, so when I heard Two Tongues was really going to happen, I couldn’t have been more excited. Well… maybe my expectations were a tad high.

Sure, there’s no denying the fact that Chris and Max are both insanely talented singers and songwriters. So naturally, you would think they would mesh. Well, even though this album is by no means “bad,” I certainly can’t help but feel a little gypped. The songs just lack a genuine feeling. I hate myself for even saying that. Max and Chris’ vocals sound great together, but the songs don’t instill any emotion at all in my mind, very much unlike Saves the Day and Say Anything.

However, with repeated listens, I’ve found that this is actually a really solid pop rock album. It is, by no means Through Being Cool or …Is A Real Boy, but even STD or SA can't be expected to make another one of those. There are numerous songs in this record (“Tremors,” “Wowee Zowee,” and “Crawl” just to name a few) that I would pick over anything off of Saves the Day or Say Anything’s respective most recent records. It’s a much-welcomed return to form for both songwriters after turning out second-rate albums, and instills hope for both Daybreak and Say Anything (both bands plan on releasing new music this year).

With every listen I like this album a little bit more. Maybe it’s got something to do with the screamo bender I was on when it leaked, and accordingly the pop rock moods I’ve had lately. But regardless, it’s a legitimate release, worthy of at least being given a chance. You very well could find something to love, especially if you’re a fan of either or both contributing bands. I’d give it a seven out of ten musically, lyrically a six (at best), vocally an eight-and-a-half, and production-wise a nine. Overall, this is a seven out of ten star record: Listen to it front-to-back.

http://www.myspace.com/twotonguesrock

No comments:

Post a Comment