April 18, 2009

You know when it rains in this town I get washed away.

(April 18th, 2009 Millvale, PA - Mr. Small's)

Copeland is a band I've always liked, but I've never loved. Maybe it's because I've never seen them live, because right now I love them. This is a show I almost didn't go to because I've just never been that into any of the bands on the bill, but it was on a Saturday night, so I opted in. I couldn't be happier that I did.

The bill could not have been any more diverse. The first act was Brooke Waggoner, a gracious young lady and a few of her musically inclined friends. Brooke plays piano and sings, and she also had a cello player, violin player, guitarist, and backup vocalist, all female save for the guitarist (who had an AMAZING beard f.y.i.). She plays a refreshing brand of very piano driven singer-songwriter rock that fans of Copeland would certainly be, and certainly were, happy with. Her set was fantastic, each little musical quirk brought about by the strings or the sparsely included guitar parts really managed to stand out. Brooke also has a fantastic voice and is a really nice girl. If you ever manage to catch her live show, listen, and afterwards walk right on up to her, she's more than happy to talk.

Following Brooke was a band called Paper Route. I'll come right out and say it, I could not have possibly been more impressed. They sounded like Mae playing Dredg songs. Or maybe Dredg playing Mae songs. It was actually very different, and a very captivating live show. I only hope the songs that they played, mostly from their upcoming album Absence, are as good on record as they are live. If this is the case, this record (which I'll be ordering shortly) is sure to be on my top ten of 2009. Their set was downright mesmerizing. More mind-blowing than anything though was the fact that it was the first time several of the songs had ever been played live, something I'm grateful I witnessed. If you get the chance, go see Paper Route. You won't regret it.

Next up was This Providence. I have heard many good things about their live show (I was with a couple girls who had already seen them three times), but I had trouble getting into their newest work, Who Are You Now?. I was pleasantly surprised and equally impressed by their live set though. It was fun to listen to. They're one of those bands that plays a style of music that I'm not particularly fond of, but I can still enjoy them, because they're good at what they do. Very poppy stuff, likely coming to a city near you very soon. Note: thank Lua for the set list.

set list:
Sure as Hell
Playing the Villain
Sand In Your Shoes
Letdown
A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Keeping On Without You
That Girl's A Trick
My Beautiful Rescue
Somebody To Talk To
Waste Myself

After three really great bands and meeting a few very cool people, I had actually forgotten why I was in a humid church at ten o'clock on a Saturday night. Then I saw Aaron Marsh carrying equipment on stage and it hit me: I was in the same room as Copeland, one of the better bands making music today. I got very, very excited, and was immediately gratified. Two songs from You Are My Sunshine opened the set, as expected, but I was glad. YAMS is a fantastic album as far as I'm concerned. Still, I was hoping for some old songs, because, well, Copeland's entire back catalog is also wonderful. My wish was granted with "When Paula Sparks" and "No One Really Wins," two of my favorite Copeland songs. A very mixed set followed, material from every album except Beneath Medicine Tree followed. They also played a phenomenal cover of the Smashing Pumpkins' "Tonight, Tonight," a song that is certainly not easy to cover well. The set ended with "You Have My Attention," quite possibly my favorite Copeland song, and I found myself absolutely choked up. It felt wonderful. I was stunned with just how good the band sounded. Aaron Marsh, the band's frontman, is also very comfortable with a guitar in his hands or behind the keyboard. The set ended, chants followed, and an encore of "Brightest" and "Testing the Strong Ones Followed," and I felt a little dulled by it. As bad as I wanted to hear more from BMT, I think "You Have My Attention" would have been the perfect way to end the night. Nonetheless, it was a fantastic set. My only complaint was it felt fairly routine, they've probably played the same or a very similar set list each night on this tour.

set list:
Chin Up
The Grey Man
When Paula Sparks
No One Really Wins
To Be Happy Now
On The Safest Ledge
Sleep
Control Freak
The Day I Lost My Voice (The Suitcase Song)
Tonight, Tonight (Smashing Pumpkins cover)
Careful Now
Pin Your Wings
You Have My Attention

encore:
Brightest
Testing the Strong Ones

This set list may or may not be spot on, I'm not entirely sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment