June 20, 2009

If you leave this town, I would follow you right out.

(June 20th, 2009 Millvale, PA - Mr. Small's)

Some shows I go to, I anticipate for months ahead of time (see: Kevin Devine and the Get Up Kids). Others, well, even going is a last second decision. Such was the case with the Ace Enders & a Million Different People show at Mr. Small's. I almost didn't go. I'll come out and say it, it wasn't my favorite show or anything, but I am glad I went.

The Dangerous Summer was the first band to play, to my dismay (you'll know why soon), and quite possibly the deciding factor in my attendance. Hailing from Maryland, The Dangerous Summer play what initially sounds like generic pop-'punk,' but upon further inspection, they prove to be much more genuine and introspective than most of their peers. The first time I heard them I was reminded of Kenny Vasoli (of The Starting Line, and yeah, Person L) vocally. I didn't even realize their primary vocalist is also the bass player. The parallels continue. The Starting Line's influence is also pretty noticeable, which is, by no means, a bad thing. But I digress. The entire setlist was, as expected, cuts from their debut full length, Reach For the Sun, and I was certainly pleased. They sounded great, and seemed quite pleased, even though turnout seemed a bit disappointing to me at least. Expect to see them coming to a city near you with bigger and bigger acts. They're climbing the ladder, and earning every rung.

set list:
Surfaced
Symmetry
The Permanent Rain
Weathered
Where I Want to Be
Never Feel Alone

Following TDS was My Favorite Highway, the only band on the bill I wasn't even a little bit familiar with, and apparently with reason. I was not even a bit impressed by their live set. The vocalist/pianist seemed almost pretentious with his stage presence. They sounded alright, his vocals were spot on, but if I wanted that, I'd listen to the recordings. Not much else to say, they don't exactly stick in my mind.

Probably the only reason I even considered going to this show in the first place, Person L was Ace's direct support, contrary to the other time I've seen them, second of four opening for Chiodos (needless to say, the crowd was a little better tonight, and by now a crowd had actually developed). Person L is Kenny Vasoli (formerly of the aforementioned Starting Line)'s new project, in which he explores pretty much every sonic possibility imaginable in 2009. It's quite impressive, there's a lot of different things going on in every song. One minute you're watching Drive Like Jehu Jr., the next Radiohead and blink-182's (somewhat deformed) lovechild. But tonight things were a bit different. Person L was short two of it's five members, one a victim of the economy, another of a back injury. Upon finding this out, I was a little hesitant to get excited for anything particularly stunning, and thus, was quite impressed. At first the setlist was a little disappointing, it consisted of mostly new songs I wasn't familiar with, but in retrospect, I feel a little priveleged to have heard that number of songs from The Positives (the band's debut full length) long before studio versions have been heard by, as far as I know, anyone. Also, "Seven Nation Army" was a nice treat. The songs from the new album sounded fantastic, even as a trio as opposed to a quintet.

set list:
I Sing the Body Electric
Sit Tight
Stay Calm
Help Yourself
Storms (Kenny solo)
New Sensation
Seven Nation Army (White Stripes cover)
Goodness Gracious

If I was the kind of person to do such a thing, I would've probably left at this point. Even though it was a Saturday night, I was tired, and not all that excited for Ace's set. Still, I like to get my money's worth, and ever since I left a Thrice show early in 2007, I like to see every band that I can. So, I stuck it out. I was glad I did, for sure. Ace sounds fantastic, and the backing band he's been playing with (including Serge, who used to play bass in The Early November alongside Ace) sounded great as well. I'm not a super fan or anything, and I managed to enjoy it, so if you are a fan of Ace's, I'd definitely recommend seeing him at least once. My only (fairly cliche) complaint would be the lack of Early November material, and there was no encore. The no encore thing was likely due to the somewhat poor turnout, a surprise for a Saturday night. Also, I have to say, Ace is a great guy, if you go see him, take a minute and shake his hand.

set list:
Rain
Body Like Mind
I Want to Hear You Sad (The Early November)
Reintroduction
Take the Money & Run
The Only Thing I Have (The Sign)
Gods (new song)
Sweeter Light
Emergency
When I Hit the Ground
Decoration (The Early November)
Reaction
The Best Happiness Money Can Buy (I Can Make A Mess)
Where Do We Go From Here
Bring Back Love

No comments:

Post a Comment