December 12, 2009

Let the music breathe across my face.

(December 12, 2009 Pittsburgh, PA - The Smiling Moose Upstairs)

There are only a few bands that I've seen more than once this year, and I feel fortunate to call Good Old War one of those bands. The best part of that is they are the only band I've seen three times, and had I the chance to see them a fourth or even a fifth, I can guarantee that I would have. Unfortunately, each time I've seen them, I've gone alone (unless you count my dad, which I don't because he stays seated in the back of the venue, while I make my way into the crowd). Next time they're in Pittsburgh though, you can bet I'll have a minivan full of people. If anyone's earned a good crowd, it's Good Old War.

It's an almost fictional occurrence for me to miss a set, but I missed Chalk Dinosaur altogether, and to them I send my apologies. I walked into the venue only to find Harrison Wargo playing Beatles covers in minor keys. Just kidding about the last five words in that last sentence. What I meant was, I walked into the Smiling Moose's upstairs to find a packed house listening to Harrison Wargo and his band playing catchy pop songs that anyone can appreciate, but with just a hint of melancholy. I missed some of his set, but I loved what I heard quite a bit. Be on the lookout for a full length from him early next year.

Following Harrison Wargo came Hezekiah Jones, who upon researching led me to expect hundreds of people on stage (see their band members section on Myspace), but ended up only two guys, vocal harmonies, and two guitars - a quietly strummed acoustic and sparse atmospheric electric. I was immediately reminded of acts like Bon Iver, playing brooding songs about heartbreak and satisfying flannel-wearing college kids everywhere, but after the song they played about the end of the world, I figured out that maybe Hezekiah Jones was a little less than that, in a good way. Still, I felt like their set lacked something. They said they were missing a few members for the performance, and I think it held them back somewhat.

Dave Davison of Maps & Atlases fame, AKA Cast Spells, was up to perform next, and being unfamiliar with Bright Works & Baton, his first release, and only having the prior knowledge that Cast Spells is a solo project, I expected one guy playing guitar and singing, and I expected to be bored. What I was greeted with was much more. Keith, Dan, and Tim of Good Old War joined him on stage, and played through (as far as I remember) all of the Bright Works & Baton EP and one of the two songs featured on the Cast Spells/Good Old War split EP ("All Brass"). I was beyond impressed. The songs were fun, upbeat, catchy, and all-around enjoyable. After the show, the girl that was selling Dave's merchandise gave my dad a CD because my dad had helped her film Hezekiah Jones' set. While the free CD might have been undeserved, we listened to it the whole drive home, and it's every bit as fantastic as the live set was.

Being that there was no set up to be had, Keith, Dan, and Tim took a quick break and then hopped right back on stage as Good Old War, and jumped right into their set. Banter was frequent, which would have been annoying if the band a. wasn't hilarious, and b. didn't play a lot. The thing is, they are hysterical, and they played "longer than [they] have ever played." Good Old War is really just three best friends playing music together that anyone can enjoy. The whole show felt like how church should feel, because everyone was gathered together, singing along, and left better off than they came. After already having seen the band twice (reviews here and here), it's clear to me that they're a top notch live act, definitely in the category "Better live than on record," so I don't really know what to add to my previous two reviews. I definitely won't even be missing Good Old War if they're anywhere near me.

set list:
Tell Me
Window
Just Another Day
We've Come A Long Way
Looking For Shelter
Get Some (new song)
I'm Not For You
No Time
Texas Blues
Breaking Down
Maybe Mine
Weak Man
Coney Island

No comments:

Post a Comment